Who Is Senate Construction Corp.
Senate Construction is an expert in the design/build approach to construction. With over 30 years of experience, Senate Construction has developed a streamlined approach to the construction process, developed excellent relationships with building owners, investors, and subcontractors, and constructed buildings for manufacturing and distribution including medical, chemical, cannabis, HVAC equipment, and much more. In addition, Senate has many design build successes in education, health care and life sciences, hospitality, mixed use residential, and general corporate.
Senate Construction’s team are professionals who care deeply about the quality of the work, budget, and schedules. Each team member is responsible for their own work while also being accountable to each other and functioning as a coherent team. Successful projects are built on more than just technical expertise, they are built on excellent communication across all facets of the company. If you are someone who takes initiative and knows when to stop and ask a question, enjoys a team environment while taking your personal responsibility, and takes pride in using and improving your skills every day, then read on, we may want to speak with you.
Reports to: President
Scope of Responsibilities
The Estimator has full responsibility for the successful estimation of all construction projects identified by the President as potential projects to bid. In this effort the Estimator must maintain a comprehensive understanding of the project scope that he/she will be estimating. The Estimator must have an ability to read prints and specs and maintain a positive communication with the design team and the Owner to assure full understanding of the project. He/she must have an ability to maintain positive communication with subcontractors and vendors in coordination with their administrative staff to prepare their trade’s bid.
- Work directly with the President, Owner and design team to establish a complete understanding of the full scope of each project. Understand the detailed specifications and blueprints, any/all alternates and understandings with the designer.
- If the project is a Design/Build, estimator must have the capability of developing a full understanding of the needs of the client and be capable of recognizing Building Code and local regulatory impacts on design and construction costs.
- Establish subcontractor/vendor database by trade using our current database, using your previously established database, and continuously developing new relationships to give us the best opportunity for successful proposals and projects.
- Select subs based on parameters of project in relationship to previous experience, bonding capacity (if necessary) and recommendations of Senate President, project managers and superintendents.
- Prepare list of specs and drawings needed by each trade and manage the distribution of information and notification of subs to give Senate sub trade pricing.
- In preparation for a design/build proposal establish the scope of work for each trade based on the prospects needs and distribute these along with preliminary design information to secure subcontractor pricing for presentation to our prospect
- Coordinate with Office Administrator as to whether the blueprints & specs should be sent out for preparation or to be copied in-house and sent to trades. Giving him/her the following specific information:
- Name and address of project;
- Date and time bids are due back in Senate’s office;
- Any scheduled walk-through dates.
- Assure that all trades cover the work as presented in the drawings.
- Visit and acclimate yourself to the proposed project site to get a better understanding of locale etc.
- Evaluate and establish any/all potential project change situations.
- Prepare subcontractor spreadsheet with pertinent questions in Excel. Work with Architect/Owner to have questions answered before bids are due.
- Coordinate with Office Administrator any forms necessary to be typed for bid submittal.
- Prepare spreadsheet for subcontract evaluations.
- Review and approve all trade bidding and enter onto analysis sheet.
- Prepare bid breakdown.
- Prepare preliminary schedule and establish key personnel that will staff the project. If required, gather resumes for key personnel to staff the project.
- Prepare proposal and present to our prospect the final proposal with our VP of Sales and with the supporting project team.
Skills and Experience Required
- Greater than three years of direct experience in commercial construction project estimating.
- Previous field and management experience in commercial construction
- Extensive experience in reading and interpreting blueprints and shop drawings.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.